"So, what do you do for a living?"

When are we supposed to figure shit out?

The other day I was at a small town fall festival and ran into some family (basically the whole town is my family). The festival was definitely a place for families since they had a few cute rides, some ponies, a bake sale and some raffles. My cousin and her fiancĂ© and their adorable daughters were enjoying the park. It's always nice to catch up so we engaged in some small talk. And of course, this question flew my way; "So, when are you gonna pop out a few?" Her fiancĂ© was talking about children. You see, on both sides of my family, Mom's and Dad's, I am the oldest cousin. I have 29 cousins. I have four female cousins that are younger than me, all of which have at least one child. No judgment; their children are precious and they are happy. But I think I am seen as some mystical, mysterious, child-less creature. Needless to say, I was not surprised by this question. I've had a lot of practice addressing this issue.  So, as I always do, I answer with "Ha... who knows." I find it is better to answer with that than say, "Well, I am only 24; I'd like a career first; I'm not even graduated yet; I want to be married first... " and so on.


I'm not gonna lie, I am definitely sick of this question. Along with, "So, what do you plan to do with your English degree?" If I had the answer, I'd give it. Am I supposed to? There are so many questions that I don't have the answer to. Like, "Where do you see yourself settling down?" or "What are you going to do after you graduate?" In all fairness, I am getting older and sooner or later I will have to answer these questions. But when? And what are the rules?

Is it still okay to not have all the answers, mid-twenties?

No comments:

Post a Comment